Today's blog inspiration comes from 6 year old Elena at Altamira Elementary School. I only visit Altamira about 4 hours/month, and have really enjoyed all the hours I've spent there so far.
The morning usually starts at 10:00am when I spend an hour with the grade 1's. First we do the morning routine, example:
Today is Tuesday, the 9th of February, 2010. The weather is cloudy, sunny, and cold.
Then all the kids sing the months of the year, "January, February, Maaaaarch and Aaaaaapril. May, June (Yuuuun) July (yoolay) and August (Ohgust). SEPTEMBER. OCTOBER. NOVEMBER. DECEMBER. (some kids get really into that last part, hence the capitals!)
Then we usually go over their vocabulary. Last week it was Nature/Environment words (tree,plant,root,seeds,soil,sunlight,etc.) and this week it was fruits and vegetables.
I was really looking forward to class today, but when I arrived to school, I was told that my class was going to have a presentation from the Police. So instead of doing any vocabulary games, I tagged along to the presentation.
It was really boring, to say the least, not very stimulating, and far too challenging for 6 year olds. During Mr.Policeman's talk, little Elena came wandering over to Clara (the other english teacher) and I. She told us that the little girl sitting beside her wouldn't leave her alone, so Clara let little Elena sit with her instead. Little Elena then shyly asked Clara what my name was (I guess she forgot!). Clara said "Well, ask her... "whats your name?"" so Elena did just that. And it was so cute! I told her "My name is Jennifer, what's your name?" and she said "My name is Elena." Then just to be even cuter Clara asked her "Elena, do you like to speak English?" and Elena responded "Yes!"
It seems so simple. But yet it was adorable. It really reminded me of how much I would love to teach in a Spanish immersion school. I think hearing little munchkins speaking in Spanish has got to be the most awesome thing ever.
Needless to say, Elena's cutiepie comment was far, far more rewarding than the Police presentation.
Fault Lines - Chile Rising
-
This is an interesting video about the education protests here in Chile for
anyone that is interested! It is really quite fascinating.
13 years ago
No comments:
Post a Comment