Sunday, January 31, 2010

Dream Job (Originally Posted on November 25, 2009)

Tonight I had my 4th (or maybe 5th) Wednesday night tutoring hour with Maria, Sara and Irene. Their moms are two of the English teachers at the High School, and they wanted to take full opportunity to have their daughters interact with a native English speaker. Of course this seemed really strange to me at the beginning...Why would they pay someone to help their kids with English when they are bilingual?! (They are both very good English speakers). But after tonight (and other nights, but mostly tonight) I know why! Because whenever either of the Moms are around, the girls instantly start talking in Spanish!! Sneaky sneaky....therefore: I'm employed every Wednesday from 8-9pm. :D

Anyways, two Wednesdays ago the girls and I had talked about our schedules (or timetables as they know them), so everything including what time we wake up, what we like to eat (during the week and on the weekends) what types of activities we do, when we go to school..etc. When they saw the picture of pancakes that I'd shown them as an example of something I love to eat on Saturdays, they instantly wanted to try one too. So I figured it would be a perfect opportunity to have fun and learn something new while speaking in English! So we set it up that in two weeks (today) we would make pancakes.

When I got to Maria and Sara's (who are sisters) house, Irene had already arrived, they had already gotten out all of the ingredients and were all really excited. They told me while we were cooking, that they don't cook very often with their Mom, but that they really enjoy helping. Anyhow, I let them do everything, minus cracking the eggs, because they were too nervous to do it! Haha. They made different shapes like hearts, the first letters of their names, etc. with the batter. We made extra, so they made some for their Dads and they a couple to keep in the fridge for tomorrow morning. Even though it was a little crazy because they were so excited, and even though I ended up with flour all over me, it was actually really fun!

This whole thing reminded me about how I had been talking over the summer about how sweet it would be to be a foods teacher. You know, teach Home Ec., minus the fact that I'm really not the best seamstress. If I could teach half of my classes in Spanish, and the other half in the kitchen, I really think that would be my dream job!

No comments:

Post a Comment