Sunday, January 31, 2010

First Entry (Originally Posted on October 6, 2009)

So! Here I am, stealing my internet connection from a fellow neighbor, writing my first blog entry! I've been meaning to start this blog for a while now, but for those of you who know me, its really not that surprising that it's being started 3+ weeks into my trip! Anyway, because I've already been here for a little while, there are so many things that have happened so far! I think I can probably briefly sum up whats be going on, then move onto more current happenings.

Arrival to Madrid: September 12

Arrival to Miranda de Ebro : September 14

Orientation for fellow Language Assistants in Madrid: September 30 - October 2

Things that I have managed to attain so far:
  • An apartment (Roomates: Ariela + Isabel)
  • A cell phone (011 34 685 13 03 93)
  • A temporary resident card
  • A temporary work schedule
  • A bank account
  • A couple new friends
  • One new shirt
So, that pretty much sums up what I have been doing for the last 3 weeks, keeping in mind that everything here takes a lot longer than it should/would at home, I feel pretty happy to have everything settled. The only thing that I am really still waiting for is the internet connection to be set up. Here in Spain, its impossible to only pay for internet. You have to have a package with either internet+land line or internet + TV. Since for some reason we are already getting some awesome TV channels for free, we chose the landline. Sometime this week both internet and landline will be installed, and I will let everyone know what the number is! I recently was looking at the long distance rates for phoning from Skype, and I was really surprised to see how cheap it was (Yes Mom, even cheaper than our phone!!) For anyone's curiosity here is the link to check out the rates: http://skype.com/intl/en/prices/callrates/#allRatesTab

Anyways. About the work so far, Ariela and I were both given temporary schedules (Timetables as they call them here) for the week. This week we are both working 12 hours each, all the those hours at the bilingual high school (Montes Obarenes). In two weeks we are going to start our crazy schedule that includes each of us spending two hours at a bilingual elementary school, then the next week Ill be doing 2 hours at another elementary school in the afternoon. Its all really complicated but Ariela and I are just grateful that we finally have some sort of schedule to go by, since the last 3 weeks have been really unorganized. On top of the 12 hours that we have been hired to work, Ariela and I were also approached to teach English in the afternoons (which is after 3pm to spaniards, NOT after 12pm like you might think) at a private language academy. IVe really been weighing the pros and cons of the job, really trying to decide whether it would be better than doing english tutoring from home. Its a tough decision since both have ups and downs. Im thinking for now I might stick with the Academy so that I can learn how to go about teaching English since there the materials are prepared for us. Then later on when I feel comfortable moving towards tutoring.

Luckily we have Mondays free in our schedule every week. So my weekend technically starts at 11:40 Friday afternoon and goes until Tuesday morning, leaving lots of potential to travel around Spain and for sure up into southern France.


Here is nice map of Spain and surrounding countries, Ive pasted in a little red star in the northern part to show more or less where Miranda de Ebro is located. We are really close to France which is great because my French needs some direct exposure! :)! This Monday (October 12) is Spain Day here, so just trying to decide what I'll get up to! Since the government pays us between the 1st and 7th of the month, and since ill only be getting paid for the half month of September, I'm pretty poor this month! Fortunately ill have a great opportunity to travel at the end of the month, since both Friday Oct. 30th and Monday November 2nd are both holidays! Im going to get planning this month for a fun trip! If anyone has any good suggestions, fire them my way!

Anyhow. For a first entry, I think this is pretty detailed! Hopefully all of you can follow my blog, Ill really try to update it regularly! I miss all of you at home and thinking about you! Lots of love: Jenn

No comments:

Post a Comment